Sunday, November 25, 2007

do I want to...

Do I want to go to church this morning? I have much to do and think about and my work which is considered "acts of mercy or necessity" must be done even on a Sabbath. The morning is cool, moist, and cloudy in a way that promisses the same all the rest of a dark day. I can always give the excuse that my rounds went long. I could even intentionally go slow so that a late arrival would be considered no arrival. No one is going to look over my shoulder. It would be sensually pleasant to curl up with a book or audio sermon on tape and descend into a day long nap. Getting up for warmed soup and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches is all that would be called for.
But I took a vow. After all, I am and have been called to be an Elder. People more than the physically ill are depending on me to set the example. I do find the company pleasant. The food is good.
But who is the "million pound gorrilla" in the room? He is God almighty. The maker of heaven and earth. He is the Holy one, pure in all his being and ways. He is the savior of my heart who paid my sin debt with his own blood and pain. He is the Spirit who sees all and records all. He is the one to whom in all the universe I have a debt of gratitude and praise. He is the only one I should seek out this day. His word is the only word worth listening to this morning. His glory is the only glory that counts today. His mercy is the flood that will fill my heart now. Any ministry that I may have, any pleasure that I might feel, any presence I need to seek today is his alone. All the rest follows as they say.
So, do I want to go to church today.... yes, to glorify God and to enjoy him forever.
Ardick.

No comments: